Friday, May 20, 2011

This May Need a Warning Label.

Warning: You may freak out.
I lived in England for four months without drinking tea or eating a scone.
Every American has this perfect picture of every Brit sitting in their "garden" sipping tea from a pretty mug and eating a fruit scone during tea time. Sorry to shatter this perception, but it's really not true. Yes, Brits drink tea. A lot of it. If I had a penny for every time I have heard "a cuppa tea with cream and sugar, please." I would be rich. VERY RICH. But scones are not that popular. At least with my generation. That is how I lasted about four months in England without eating or drinking either. I didn't like the taste either so it wasn't hard. When one of my best friends, Kristin, visited in April she forced me to drink tea and try a scone. I discovered that tea with milk and sugar is not THAT awful. And if you coat the scone with enough clotted cream (thick butter) and jam, heck they aren't bad either. It definitely isn't life-changing, but it's not deadly. There is one place that makes scones that I actually enjoy. Probably because they taste like biscuits and I miss biscuits like crazy BUT that's not important. I can say with confidence that after trying both a Southern Season scone and a true English scone, that A Southern Season's are better.

1 comment: